top of page

Parents & Grandparents Sponsorship

Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents

Citizens and permanent residents of Canada, with the financial resources, can sponsor parents and grandparents.

Grants permanent residence for parents and grandparents, (subject to an annual fee established by Immigration Canada).​

Sponsors must:

  1. Have received an invitation to apply from the Canadian government.

  2. Be over 18 years of age, and reside in Canada.

  3. Must meet the LICO + 30% requirement for three years and sign a commitment where they agree to care for and financially support those sponsored (parents or grandparents) for 20 years.​

  4. Sponsors must be medically admissible to Canada and have a medical exam.

  5. Sponsors cannot apply unless they submit an interest to sponsor form and only if IRCC invites them to apply. Sponsorship processing time can be up to 3 years.

How can I be invited to apply?

The call to apply for sponsorship from parents and grandparents takes place once every year.

You must inform Immigration Canada of your interest in sponsoring parents or grandparents, who selects and invites potential sponsors.

What reasons can prevent me from bringing my parents or grandparents?

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident may not be eligible to sponsor their parents or grandparents if they meet one of the following reasons:​

  1. He is imprisoned.

  2. Have a debt for immigration credit, bail, non-compliance with child or spouse support.

  3. Past breach of sponsorship agreement or bankruptcy.

  4. Receives social assistance but not for reasons of disability.

  5. Has a deportation order.

  6. He/She is an ex-convict for a violent crime.

  7. Is are convicted of a crime against a family member or assault or sexual offense.

Who can I sponsor under this category?​

Blood and/or adoptive parents or grandparents; even if their parents or grandparents are divorced, and/or married in a new relationship.

Sponsored individuals can work in Canada without needing to be authorized by a work permit.​

Are you thinking of bringing your parents for a few months, instead?

They maybe eleigle for a super visa. A super visa lets you visit their children or grandchildren for 5 years at a time. It’s a visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years.

There are specific requirements for a super visa, including the need for health insurance, and they must meet all the criteria to be elegible. This an ideal visa for those coming to visit you for 6 months or less.  

Our Regulated Canadian Immmigration Consultant, Mr. Alejandro Gonzalez, can advise you in this regard.

So, book your consultation as quick as you can!

bottom of page